Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A word from the dentist

I recently went to the dentist and we discussed tooth health with POTS. I know it sounds strange, but I thought I would share just in case others hadn't thought about this. I usually brush my teeth twice a day (morning and night), floss weekly, and get checkups when I need to with the dentist. Last checkup I had some more enamel wearing than was normal. He asked what I eat to find the cause. I listed off my POTS foods (ensure, gatorade, ginger ale (for nausea), high salt diet, etc. He was shocked. At first he told me to stop with the salt and not to drink gatorade or ginger ale. When I explained to him why I NEED those in my diet, he backed off about stopping them and started explaining why they're bad. Those things eat at the enamel of your teeth. Mix that with the dry mouth from meds and its a recipe to have tooth decay. He told me to try to drink water after anything sugary (like gatorade). He also told me to chew gum as much as possible because it prevents dry mouth and dry mouth decays teeth too. So if you're like me and you're stuck with a POTSie diet: chase sugary foods and drinks with water, chew sugar free gum as much as possible, and brush your teeth a MINIMUM of 3 times a day.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your idea to us about phoenix dentist. I really had a great time reading this one.

    ReplyDelete