Friday, April 27, 2012

Roller coster ride...



Life has been rough this past month. Because of that, every time I go to write an update, I stop. Its like if I write what has been going on, it will be real. I guess its real either way, I just haven't felt up to sharing it. Some of you know I had a heart attack last month. It wasn't the typical clogged arteries heart attack, it was something called prinzmetal angina. Since then, I've been on a roller coaster ride.
I was taking a drug called Norvasc to precent the angina from causing another heart attack, but it has been making me pass out. I've passed out 23 times in the 26 days I've been taking Norvasc, thats a lot of concussions. I would've stopped the meds, but fainting beats a heart attack and there aren't many options to prevent this type of angina for someone with POTS. I started having constant headaches, dizziness, and nausea from all the head bumps, so I bought a helmet (as mentioned in a previous blog entry). I also started using a wheelchair in public (I didn't want to wear a helmet in public but it actually really helps with fatigue as well). Monday I will have a meeting to get fitted for a wheelchair of my own for the places (like the grocery) that don't have wheelchairs to borrow.
At my last cardiologist meeting he suggested that I get something called an implantable loop recorder to better see what is going on with my heart. I feel like I need to get it, but I'm very nervous about it. I hear it leaves a very nasty scar right below the collarbone on your chest, not a pretty sight for a 26 year old girl. I guess a helmet isn't any better, but at least thats temporary.
In the grand scheme of things, this is no big deal, but it has been very difficult for me to deal with; passing out all the time, concussions, and losing my independence even more than before. I always try to write things that are positive or that I think someone else could benefit from, but tonight is just an update. Be well fellow POTSies.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Caitlin. I admire your good and complex attitude. BTW, I take norvasc for blood pressure control.

    ReplyDelete