Friday, March 25, 2011

Distractions

Ok, so I can't sleep. Not so surprising, considering that my new meds made me so tired that I slept all day. I just spent 2 hours googling what high salt foods I actually like, in an attempt to comply with my cardiologists' requests that I go on a high salt diet. My new meds have me craving salt, which helps. Plus, I have a strange craving for olives, how weird is that? So here I am in bed, mouth watering over the mere idea of salty foods, trying to keep my salt pill down, watching Grey's and sobbing over the usually Mere/McDreamy love issues. What is it about Grey's that makes you start sobbing 45 minutes into the show? Its just another thing that keeps me distracted from whats going on with my health and my life. This past summer, while I wasn't feeling well, I would paint my nails. Not just paint them, design them. Somewhere between choosing colors and matching the final product to my clothes later that day, I would not have to worry about how bad I felt. Bejeweled helped too, when I played, I would go into some kind of a game induced trance. Lately I've been playing World of Warcraft a lot. Its a nice mindless retreat for me into a world of make believe. One of the added benefits is that there are real people playing with me. I've become pretty lonely all day in the house with just my Mom and sister. WoW has given me friends outside my house, its given me an escape. Its finding what it is that can get you through, finding those things that can distract you from reality long enough to get you to the next step in recovery. With that, there is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment